Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From a supermarket recipe card.
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 medium fennel bulbs
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or 2 tablespoons walnuts
- In a skillet cook onion in olive oil over low heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Cook and cover for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally or until onions are very tender and edges are golden.
- Add balsamic vinegar and cook and stir until the onions are coated.
- Meanwhile, trim fennel; chop enough of the green tops to make 2 tablespoons.
- Cut each fennel bulb lengthwise into 6 wedges.
- In a medium saucepan cook fennel, covered, in chicken broth for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Arrange fennel wedges on a serving plate. Top with onions and sprinkle with nuts and reserved fennel fronds.
Terrific way to enjoy fennel! I made this just as written, using the walnuts. Most of my fennel wedges seperated, but that was no big deal...... it still looked great on a serving platter topped with those yummy balsamic carmelized onions! Thanx for sharing this one; it's a keeper for sure!