Recipe by chia
From Bon Appetit. I had all the ingredients on hand to make this wonderful soup. This is great hot or cold, and makes a great first course for dinner. Worked as a hot lunch for me too. This makes 8 appy servings or 4 main dish.
Top Review by Chef Kate
Very good soup, but a bit short on seasoning for my taste. I used some garlic butter which I had on hand and added herbs; I also added a bit of whole milk to smooth it out a bit.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and chopped, fronds reserved for garnish
- 2 leeks, white part only, halved, rinsed and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- salt, and
- white pepper, to taste
- 5 -6 cups chicken stock
- 1 ounce smoked salmon, chopped, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy pot.
- Add fennel, leek and fennel seeds until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes and 5 cups stock.
- Bring to boil, lower to simmer and cook 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend everything. (Alternately, you can add the soup to a blender in batches and return to the pot).
- Thin with extra stock if needed.
- Pour into bowls, garnish with smoked salmon and fennel fronds.