Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is an easy, healthy recipe that the whole family will love. Don't be scared to substite the lamb shanks for another cut of meat if you don't like lamb. Chuck steak or gravy beef (stewing steak) would go well.
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 (400 g) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- mashed potatoes, to serve
- lemon wedge, to serve
- Place seasoned flour into a plastic bag, add lamb shanks and toss to coat.
- Shake off excess flour. Heat oil in a large oven-top casserole or deep frying pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add lamb shanks and cook, turning often, until well browned. Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining oil, garlic and onion to pan and cook, stirring often for 3 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add fennel and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Return lamb shanks to pan, add tomatoes and stock and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine, cover and simmer,.
- stirring and turning lamb shanks occasionally, over medium-low heat for 1 hour.
- Remove cover and cook for 10 minutes to reduce cooking liquid slightly.
- Serve lamb shanks with mashed potatoes and lemon wedges.
Very delicious ,however the flavor of the fennel was muted. I cut the recipe in half for DH and I and served with mashed potatoes. Oven baked for over 3 hr and the meat was falling off the bone tender. Next time maybe shorten cooking time so vege doesn't fall to mush.
This makes a well flavored dish that was enjoyed for Mother's Day along side Recipe #94123 and roasted green beans. The browned meat was placed in the crock pot with the canned tomatoes and beef stock. After cooking for several hours the meat was falling off the bone tender. Thank you for posting.
A very enjoyable lamb shank recipe with lovely flavour. I used 3 lamb shanks which weighed between 450 and 500 grams each, 1 can of tomatoes plus 4 large vine ripened tomatoes, 1 large bulb of fennel, 1 large onion and served with recipe #93827. Still had a fair amount of the sauce left over which I think would be nice heated up and served over rice. Thank you djmastermum, made for ZAAR Cookbook Tag.