Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Refreshing and absolutely delicious, in my opinion- I could make a meal of this myself. Do use a good olive oil, if possible! Cooking time is actually the 30 minutes standing time before serving.
- 2 medium fennel bulbs
- 8 ounces roma tomatoes, seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons pickled capers, drained
- 1 1⁄2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Trim the top of each fennel flush with the bulb, discard stalks; remove and discard tough outer portion (usually just the first layer).
- Quarter bulbs lengthwise, then slice lengthwise as thinly as you can (with a knife, mandoline is not necessary).
- Combine in the bottom of a large bowl the capers, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well.
- To this dressing, add in the capers and the feta.
- Add sliced fennel and tomatoes, and mix well.
- Let stand 30 minutes to allow the dressing to permeate the vegetables (unrefrigerated) before serving.
Really good salad!!!! I love the subtle anise flavor of the fennel paired with the tart lemon juice and salty capers!!! The feta gave it some salt too so next time, I might leave out the 1/2 tsp salt and maybe only throw in 1/4 tsp or less. Will make again, thanks for posting!!
This is the first time I've had fennel and I really liked this salad which featured the fennel. I also think this will also be great for lunch with some tuna added. Thanks for sharing!