I make this every year for our turkey! It is so potent when you've first ground it, but don't worry, since once it's cooked you're left with a wonderfully spiced turkey (but nothing unusually flavored). People will not be able to pick out the spices, but will comment how great the turkey tastes. It makes the best gravy. It is so dark and rich with a great savory taste. Second time I brined turkey and it was super moist, although the flavor was the same when it was not brined.
- Put the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in a heavy pan over medium heat.
- Watch carefully, tossing frequently so the seeds toast evenly.
- When light brown and fragrant, pour the seeds onto a plate to cool.
- They must be cool before grinding, or they will gum up the blades.
- Pour the seeds into a blender and add the salt.
- Blend to a fine powder, shaking the blender occasionally to redistribute the seeds.
- Store in a tightly sealed glass jar in a cool, dry place, or freeze.
- Note: There's a chicken salad recipe by Michael Chiarello that uses up some of the leftover spice mix:.
- n a large bowl, combine shredded cooked chicken, celery, red onion, 6 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons Fennel Spice, and salt and pepper to taste. Taste and add more oil, lemon juice, or Fennel Spice, if desired. Add the basil and serve.
This is fabulous flavor spice combination!! I used it on our turkey ...that we bbq'd today on the rotisserie! No particular spice stuck out...we couldn't identify them...but wonderful flavors!!
I can't wait to use the left over spice on something else!!
This is fabulous on leg of lamb-I really rubbed it on in the AM put it in the fridge and roasted the lamb in the normal way. it is heaven! Thanks Mean chef for sharing this recipe. I am storing the remainder it in a sealer in the freezer. As said the recipe makes apprz 1 1/2 cups I used about 4 tbsp on the lamb Additional comments 15 March- I rubbed the lambchops with the fennel spice in the morning, pan fried them for supper 5 minutes each side and when I flipped the chops put 1 tsp of Lingonberries on each. Fabulous flavour combination 11 April 08 Try this on a sreak - great flavor
Magical spice mix! Used this in Mean Chef's Pork Tenderloin with Fennel Spice recipe.