Recipe by Dancer^
My Dh loves fennel and when we made this he almost ate it all. Its nice with crusty bread and a small salad.
Top Review by SlowFoodie
This is a very lovely soup with a beautiful delicate flavor. The tarragon coaxes out the flavor of the fennel and the turmeric gives a nice depth for a so lightly flavored soup. I didn't fortify it w/cream, it was absolutely wonderful without.
- 1 fennel bulb, leaves removed and reserved and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- butter or olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- double cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, sweat the onions in the butter/oil for five minutes.
- Add the fennel and garlic and sweat gently for a further five minutes.
- Pour on the stock, so that it just covers the vegetables, and add the tarragon and turmeric.
- Season to taste.
- Simmer gently for half an hour, until the fennel is tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat and blend in blender until a smooth thick soup.
- Fortify with a little cream, if desired.
- Serve garnished with the reserved fennel leaves.