- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 leek, white part only, finely chopped
- 1 small potato, diced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 star anise
- 1⁄2 quart chicken broth or 1⁄2 quart vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, and fry the vegetables until softened but not colored. Add the fennel seeds and the star anise.
- Pour in the broth and cook the vegetables for a further 5-10 minutes. They should be completely soft by now. Stir in the cream.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and pulse until smooth. Pass through a strainer and season to taste. Reheat back in the pan and serve with crusty bread.