Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A creamy and warming vegetable soup.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 leek, white part only, finely chopped
- 1 small potato, diced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 star anise
- 1⁄2 quart chicken broth or 1⁄2 quart vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, and fry the vegetables until softened but not colored. Add the fennel seeds and the star anise.
- Pour in the broth and cook the vegetables for a further 5-10 minutes. They should be completely soft by now. Stir in the cream.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and pulse until smooth. Pass through a strainer and season to taste. Reheat back in the pan and serve with crusty bread.
Great flavor and texture. The flavor is mild but you still taste the fennel. Remember to remove your star anise before pureeing. I made this exactly as written and loved it. Thanx!