Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A lovely, light, summery salad. The citrus, the lightly licorice-flavoured fennel, and the smoked salmon are an amazing combination! My daughter practically inhales this!
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed if possible (prepared orange juice is fine, though)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 fennel bulb, cut in half and sliced paper-thin (stems, feathery leaves and any discoloured outer parts discarded)
- 4 oranges, peeled, cut crosswise into slices
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into slivers
- 4 green onions, cut into slivers
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, sea salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Place fennel in a bowl and toss with about half of the dressing mixture until evenly coated. Set aside.
- Arrange orange slices attractively on four salad plates. Mound the fennel mixture on top, divide and top with the smoked salmon, sprinkle with green onions and parmesan, then drizzle sparingly with the remaining dressing.
This is the best salad I've had in ages! All the flavours are wonderful together. You have to have a little of everything in each bite. I loved the dressing.
Very refreshing and original salad! We liked it very much, but I would try to give it some more of a kick by using another dressing a next time. Perfect for hot summer nights, when you don't want to do too much of a cooking. Be sure to use the best ingredients you can afford!