Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from 'The Guestbook' by Andrea Hurst. Perfect to make at the beginning of the week, then heat up a slice for breakfast each morning. Getting your 7-10 daily servings of veggies is easier if you start early!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped (hard core removed)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced portobella mushrooms
- 12 ounces precooked chicken sausage, chopped in bite size pieces (I used Alfresco Sweet Italian)
- 8 ounces canned artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add olive oil and butter to an ovenproof skillet on medium high flame. Saute onion, fennel and garlic until lightly browned and fragrant, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend all "Egg Mixture" ingredients in blender.
- When mushrooms look done, stir in sausage and artichoke hearts. Saute for a minute or two.
- Pour Egg Mixture in skillet and mix together.
- Put skillet in oven and bake approximately 25-30 minutes until knife in center comes out dry. (You can transfer to a greased casserole dish if your skillet is not ovenproof.).
- Slice and serve hot or cold.
My single change here was to use crumbled veggie sausage patties because I love them and they sure save on the fat content. Really loved the fennel and artichoke and those flavors made this morning's breakfast sing with flavor. This is one classy, upgraded frattata, thats not hard to make and so easy to enjoy. Thanks Jen.