Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This comes from Every Day with RR.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, quartered, cored and thinly sliced (reserve a handful of fronds, chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- flat leaf parsley, chopped (a generous handful)
- freshly grated asiago cheese or grana padano, to pass around the table
- crusty Italian bread, to pass around
- In a large soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and brown for a couple of minutes.
- Add the onion, fennel, garlic and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, stirring for about 2 minutes, then add the broth, cover and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, adjust the seasonings and top the stoup with the chopped fennel fronds, basil and parsley. Pass around cheese and bread at the table.