Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Gourmet. August 2007.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium fennel, bupound with fronds (anise)
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced
- Toast fennel seeds in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant and a shade darker, about 2 minutes. Add water and 3/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and return to a boil, then cook, covered, over low heat until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Spread rice in a shallow baking pan and cool quickly by chilling, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate zest from orange into a large serving bowl and squeeze in juice (about 1/3 cup). Whisk in vinegar, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Chop 2 tablespoons fronds from fennel, then discard stalks. Quarter bupound lengthwise and thinly slice crosswise.
- Stir fennel bupound and fronds into vinaigrette along with cooled rice, scallions, and salt and pepper to taste.