Recipe by English_Rose
The addition of fennel seeds and bulb fennel in this ratatouille gives an extra Mediterranean flavor. It goes perfectly with grilled meat, especially lamb. It can also be served hot or at room temperature and also makes a great sauce when stirred into hot pasta.
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1in chunks
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and cut into 1in chunks
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and cut into 1in chunks
- 2 small fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into 1in chunks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, lightly crushed
- 1 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tbs of the oil in a pan, add the eggplant and fry until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the pan, then fry the onion for 5 mins until lightly browned. Add the garlic and fennel seeds and fry for 1 min, then add the peppers and fry for another 5 mins until soft.
- Add the zucchini and fennel and fry for another 5 minutes Return the eggplant to the pan with the chopped tomatoes and some seasoning.
- Part-cover and simmer for 30 mins until all the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Stir in the dill and some seasoning to taste.
- Serve or set aside to serve at room temperature later.