Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Yum, 2 of my favorite ingredients, fennel and gorgonzola. Always a hit. I usually skip the tomato sauce for simple dinners, but it looks great for more formal parties. Adapted from epicurious.
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, rinsed & very thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup oil-cured black olive, pitted & chopped
- 2 cups gorgonzola, crumbled
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, white part cut in 1/4-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, warmed
- 8 -10 oil-cured black olives, pitted & halved
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 4 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, slightly crushed
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Rub the inside of 11" diameter dutch oven or casserole with the garlic halves.
- Then rub the inside with 1/2 tbsp butter.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with 1/4 of the potatoes, they will overlap some.
- Spread 1/3 of the olives and 1/4 of the cheese, then top with 1/3 of the fennel.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 tsp marjoram,salt & pepper to taste, and 1 tbsp butter cut in pieces.
- Repeat this layer twice more.
- Arrange the remaining potatoes around top, sprinkle with 1/2 remaining cheese and 1 tbsp butter.
- Pour the milk evenly over, place the olive halves around the top.
- Cover with foil or lid.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Remove the lid/foil, sprinkle the remaining cheese, and continue to bake (uncovered) another 30 minutes or until the top is golden and the potatoes are tender.
- Let stand 15 minutes to firm.
- To make the tomato sauce: After you have uncovered the gratin, heat 4 tsp oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes with juices, 4 tsp marjoram, and fennel seeds.
- Simmer this for about 15 minutes to thicken.
- Serve warm on the side of the gratin.