Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Here's another recipe I haven't tried yet, but plan to. Found it in a Taste of Home Magazine and described as: Tender potato slices in this cozy casserole have a mild fennel flavor with a hint of nutmeg. Add a creamy sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan and you have a homey side dish. Sounds interesting doesn't it! Serves 12 so I'd probably have to cut it in half but would be perfect for a large gathering
- 9 cups potatoes, sliced and peeled
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a greased shallow 3-quart baking dish, combine the potatoes and fennel; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the broth, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potato mixture; gently toss to coat.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Excellent variation of a regular potato dish. I took this to a dinner my neighbor was hosting today and it was very well received. Lot of food, and this item was the one that most chose to go back and get seconds of. The fennel was a wonderful addition. We all loved this! (Made for PAC Spring 2008)