Recipe by AmandaInOz
Salty and aniseedy with bursts of sour sweetness, this works as an effective palate cleanser. From Diana Henry's Crazy Water, Pickled Lemons: Enchanting Dishes from the Middle East, Mediterranean and North Africa.
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 red onion, very finely sliced
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 198.44 g feta cheese (200g)
- 1 pomegranate, seeds of
For the dressing
- 7.39 ml white wine vinegar
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 0.25 ml caster sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Trim the fennel bulbs, reserving the fronds. Quarter the bulbs, and cut out and discard the central core. Finely slice the fennel lengthways, and toss it and the reserved fronds into the bowl containing the dressing.
- Peel the cucumber and cut in half lengthways. Scoop out the central seeds with a teaspoon and slice the remaining flesh into half-moon shapes. Add to the bowl of dressing.
- Add the sliced onion to the bowl. Add the herbs and crumble the feta in the bowl.
- Toss the salad and scatter the pomegranate seeds on top- don't add the seeds before tossing as they will leach out their crimson juices.