We had this salad as an appetizer at a diner party. My friend Samantha told me it was a Gordon Ramsay recipe. I am not a big Ramsay fan but think this salad is fab! So here it is to share...as far as I could tell the only thing Sam did different was giving us one egg each (quatered) Gordon says in his recipe to simmer the eggs for 9 minutes, seems a bit long to me, use your own judgement.
- 2 medium fennel bulbs
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 250 g podded broad beans
- 250 g peas, thawed if frozen
- 8 parma ham slices
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon fine sugar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dill, roughly chopped
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Trim the fennel, cutting off the base and removing the coarse outer layer of leaves.
- Cut each bulb in half lengthways, then slice as thinly as possible, using a mandolin or a sharp knife.
- Place in a large bowl of iced water and leave to soak for about 10-15 minutes to crisp up.
- Boil the eggs, (the yolks should be set but still quite soft) drain, then refresh in a pan of cold water.
- Bring another pot of water to the boil, add the broad beans and blanch for 1 minute, then add the peas and return to the boil, blanch for another 3 minutes until the peas and broad beans are tender.
- Drain and refresh in a bowl of iced water.
- For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain all the vegetables and mix, pour over the dressing and toss well.
- Shell the eggs, then cut into quarters lengthways.
- When ready to serve, heat a tiny drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick pan and fry the Parma ham slices until golden brown and crisp, turning once. Divide the salad and eggs among serving plates.
- Break the crispy Parma ham into smaller pieces and scatter over the salads, sprinkle with pepper and serve.
Wow! This is a very elegant looking salad that tastes wonderful. It is crunchy with many different flavors and textures. I thoroughly enjoyed this.