Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, top trimmed away, bulb halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced (Spanish or Vidalia)
- 18 large eggs
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb Fontina cheese, well chilled then sliced
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; melt butter in the oil; then add fennel and onion; cook 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion and fennel carmaelize or turn golden brown and are sweet to taste.
- While the fennel and onion cook, beat eggs with a whisk for 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Pour eggs over fennel and onion; cook until eggs are firmly set, lifting up set egg from bottom occasionally to allow liquids to settle.
- When frittata is firm, place on center rack in oven and broil until top begins to brown.
- Cover top with fontina slices and place back under broiler until cheese just melts.
- Cut into 8 wedges and serve warm.