Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
If you are not familiar with fennel it has a refreshing licorice taste and this combined with onions & mushrooms is really tasty -Nice to have a some new options for veggies on your dinner menu especially one like this bold, colorful, crunchy dish
- 1 (1 lb) fennel bulb, remove any branches shooting up from the bulb itself
- 3 tablespoons lite olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, cleaned,cut in half or quartered
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cut the fennel bulb in half and coarsely chop the stalks, trim away the hard bottom core Heat the oil over high heat for 30 secs.
- Add onions salt& pepper stir fry 1 minute.
- Add peppers& fennel stir fry for 3 minutes or until the veggies are just slightly charred around the edges (not burned) Add mushrooms& stir fry until the mushrooms are soft& slightly brown.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice& serve.
Great combination of veggies! I followed the recipe, but replaced salt and pepper with chicken powder to make it tastier. I did not use lemon juice either. But the dish was excellent. Also simple and quick to do, so suitable for busy people.
This was really good and simple to do. Even my boys ate it. It did seem to me to be lacking just a bit in seasoning though so next time I may try to mix in some Thyme. Oh and I didn't have onions so I just doubled the pepper portion. This was my first time with fennel too so I am glad it turned out to be easy. And don't let the licorice flavor scare you away. It is quite mild.
I really loved this veggie combination. Nice and colorful. I followed the recipe exactly as written, but I used white onion because I didn't have red. Also, I cut the oil back to 2 tbsp and it worked fine. Great side dish or meatless maindish. Thanx for a great stir-fry recipe. I'll make this again.