Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Food & Wine.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb chanterelle mushroom
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb sea scallops
- 4 cups arugula, torn into pieces
- 1 fennel bulb, halved cored and very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 piece parmesan cheese
- truffle oil (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the lemon juice, vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the chanterelles and 1 tablespoon of the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mushrooms in an even layer and cook over moderately high heat, without stirring, until deeply browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Stir the mushrooms and continue cooking until tender, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate.
- Return the skillet to high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- When the oil is hot, add the scallops to the skillet along with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter; tilt the pan to coat the undersides of the scallops with butter.
- Cook, without stirring, until the scallops are deep brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn the scallops and cook until browned on the second side and just cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
- In a medium bowl, toss the arugula and fennel with 3 tablespoons of the dressing. Transfer the salad to 2 large plates.
- Add the tomatoes and mushrooms to the bowl and toss with the remaining dressing; arrange over the salads along with the scallops.
- Shave thin slices of Parmesan cheese on top and season with pepper. Drizzle with truffle oil and serve at once.