Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found in an older issue of Chatelaine magazine; posted in response to a request for fennel recipes. I haven't tried this myself.
- Trim fronds from fennel and discard.
- Slice fennel into small, thin strips and place is large, preferably wide, saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until fennel is tender, stirring once or twice; this will take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, then puree fennel mixture in a blender or food processor until it's fairly smooth.
- While fennel is cooking, peel potatoes and cut into quarters.
- Place in a large saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender; this will take about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well and return to saucepan.
- Mash potatoes, then stir in hot fennel puree, sour cream, and salt.
- Taste; more salt may be needed.
- If mixture is not piping hot, heat in saucepan, over low, stirring often.
- Serve immediately.