Recipe by Bergy
This, to me, is a very special fragrant dish that I enjoy making and serving it to special guests who like something a bit different. It is worth the bit of extra effort.
Top Review by Nic Daniau
Wow. This is gor-geous! Just try it and this recipe takes a one-way to your fist page of your recipe book. I've used suede instead of turnips and it mixed so well with oranges. For a vegan meal serve with lentils (coriander seeds, black pepper, ghee). For meat eaters it goes particularily well with a leg of duck simply put in the oven over fresh rosemary for a good hour.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs turnips, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 seedless oranges
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 bunches fennel
- 2 tablespoons lite olive oil (or Virgin or other veggie oil)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ground cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove fennel leaves, mince finely, set aside.
- Remove outer ribs of the fennel and discard.
- Slice fennel crosswise into 1" slices.
- Place fennel in a bowl and cover with cold water.
- Take 1 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest from the peel of the orange.
- Pare the remaining peel and pith from the orange, cut it in half lengthwise, then cut across into 1/4" slices, set aside (keep the juice).
- Heat oil and cook the onion and garlic over medium high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add coriander,cumin, cayenne, cardamom, cinnamon & orange zest.
- Cook stirring for about 2 minutes (Until fragrant).
- Drain the fennel, pat dry and add to the pan.
- Salt slightly and cook stirring for about 5 minutes or until the fennel starts to soften.
- Sprinkle sugar over the mixture and stir it inches.
- Remove from heat.
- Spray an 8" oven proof dish with oil.
- Layer turnip slices, orange slices and fennel mixture, press together, Do two layers of each Pour accumulated orange juice over the vegetables.
- Cover tightly with aluminium foil and bake in 350F degrees oven for 1 hour or until bubbling and still tender crisp.
- Remove foil and bake for a further 10 min until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with fennel leaves before serving.