- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh fennel
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon red miso
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add fennel, onion, and ginger. Stir often until fennel is tender when pierced, 8 to 10 minutes. Add 2 cups broth.
- Pour mixture into a blender and add miso. Whirl until as smooth as you like. Return to pan and add remaining 4 cups broth.
- Stir often over medium-low heat until hot. Ladle into bowls, then add chives.