Recipe by Elly in Canada
I love fennel and fontina! A different and tasty sandwich. I found the recipe in an Italian cooking magazine.
Top Review by Ilysse
Great combination of ingredients. I like to top fennel with fontina when I make it as a side dish so why not turn it into a sandwich. I did change the preporation by grilling the fennel and onion and leaving the saffron out of it completely. I used DH homemade bread and once assembled placed them in the panini grill to crisp the bread and melt the cheese. Great sandwiches! Thanks for posting.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small fennel bulbs, julienned, keep the fronds for garnish
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 4 slices fontina
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, remove crusts if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vegetables.
- In a frypan over low heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add the onion and fennel, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water, cover, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the fennel and onions are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the saffron.
- Cook until the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- To assemble the sandwich.
- Top the 4 slices of bread with the sliced fontina.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture over the cheese, top with remaining bread slices.
- Cut each sandwich diagonally, arrange on serving plate and garnish with fennel fronds.