Recipe by Chef mariajane
This is a wonderful salad, that would be a great addition to any meal, especially with pork - another great from Martha!!
- 1 small green cabbage, halved, cored and very thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, halved, cored, and very thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar, plus
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 granny smith apple
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss cabbage, fennel, carrots and salt in a large bowl.
- Toast fennel seeds in a medium sauté pan over medium heat, shaking the pan occsionally, until seeds are fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add shallots and 2 tablespoons oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots begin to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in vinegr and raisins. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons oil.
- Pour warm dressing over vegetables, and toss well. Season with pepper, and let stand for 30 minutes. Just before serving, core apple, cut into matchsticks, and mix into slaw.