Recipe by Lennie
Posted in response to a request for fennel recipes. Untried by me :-)
Top Review by RZ1234
So delicious! We bought some fennel to try for the first time and decided this recipe looked easy and possibly tasty. We used what was on hand: raspberry vinegar, yellow mustard, olive oil, and skipped the caraway seeds. The fennel turned out very sweet and the flavors kept it from tasting so much like licorice. Everything was crunchy and flavorful, and nobody left a scrap of it on their plate so it's become one of my new staples.
- 1 fennel bulb, peeled if necessary
- 2 red apples, quartered and cored
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice end from fennel and remove shoots from top; if exterior of bulb is discoloured or at all ugly, peel it.
- Slice fennel and apples thinly into matchstick pieces; place in a serving bowl.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until well combined.
- Pour dressing over fennel and apples and toss; let stand for 5 minutes, then serve.
- Note: dressing can be made without a blender-- mince garlic, then whisk all dressing ingredients together.