Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Posted in response to a request for fennel recipes. Untried by me :-)
Make and share this Fennel-Apple Slaw recipe from Food.com.
- Slice end from fennel and remove shoots from top; if exterior of bulb is discoloured or at all ugly, peel it.
- Slice fennel and apples thinly into matchstick pieces; place in a serving bowl.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until well combined.
- Pour dressing over fennel and apples and toss; let stand for 5 minutes, then serve.
- Note: dressing can be made without a blender-- mince garlic, then whisk all dressing ingredients together.
So delicious! We bought some fennel to try for the first time and decided this recipe looked easy and possibly tasty. We used what was on hand: raspberry vinegar, yellow mustard, olive oil, and skipped the caraway seeds. The fennel turned out very sweet and the flavors kept it from tasting so much like licorice. Everything was crunchy and flavorful, and nobody left a scrap of it on their plate so it's become one of my new staples.
I found I rather liked the apples but not the fennel in this. Also thought there was too much mustard. I'll make it again, without fennel and with 1/2 the mustard.
This is a lovely change and nicely different. I did omit the caraway and it wasn't missed. Fennel is something I have seldom and I like to use it in a simple and straight forward way so I can really enjoy it's flavor. I'll make this again.