Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Gourmet June 2001. This would be great with pizza!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 crisp apples (Gala or small Fuji, thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (sometimes called anise, 2 lb total)
- 4 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled (preferably dolce)
- Whisk together lemon juice and oil in a large bowl. Add apples and currants and gently toss.
- Trim fennel stalks flush with bulbs, discarding stalks, then quarter each bulb. Thinly slice bulbs with a mandoline or other manual slicer.
- Gently toss fennel with apples and season with salt and pepper. Serve salad topped with Gorgonzola.
I love the simplicity of this recipe and all the ingredients. I used chopped dried cherries, other than that, I made as suggested. I felt the dressing was rather bland and needs some tweaking. I like it well enough to make again but will adjust the dressing. Salt is definitely necessary (which I didn't use) I just plain forgot. That may have been all that was lacking. One note, everything can be prepped ahead but take care not to slice your apples too far ahead of serving time, as they may turn brown.
This is absolutely delicious, and so easy to make! I've taken it to several cookouts and it always gets raves.