Recipe by Buster's friend
This is going on the Fourth of July weekend menu - right along with steamed fresh caught clams, shrimp & crab! This salad will complement but not be overwhelmed by your favorite seafood. Snagged from Food & Drink - a weekly guide to enjoying eating from the Tribune - Noelle Carter, LA times staff writer. Adapted from a recipe by Jeremy Jackson.
- 8 ounces bacon, thick-cut (cut crosswise into 1/2 -inch pieces)
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fennel leaves, divided & minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 29 ounces cannellini beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Tabasco sauce or other vinegar-based hot sauce, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a cast-iron skillet for a few minutes until hot, then add the bacon and sauté until crisp, stirring occasionally. Strain the bacon and reserve 2 Tbsps. of the grease in the pan to cook the fennel (save the additional grease for another use). Place the strained bacon into a medium bowl.
- Add the sliced fennel to the pan and sauté until it just starts to brown, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the fennel and garlic from the heat, and add to the bacon.
- Gently stir the beans into the fennel and bacon mixture, then stir in the minced fennel fronds, lemon juice and zest, cumin and olive oil. Season with a couple dashes of Tabasco and one-fourth teaspoons salt and one-eighth teaspoons pepper, or to taste. Serve immediately or within a couple of hours.