Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A tasty pork stew with the flavours of the Mediterranean.
- 2 lbs pork blade steaks, bones removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups tomato puree (use a good brand of Italian passata if you can get it)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Sprinkle the pork with half of the salt and pepper.
- In a large shallow Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the pork in batches and adding more oil if necessary.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Drain any fat from the pan and add the remaining oil.
- Cook the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, fennel seeds and remaining salt and pepper over medium heat until softened and slightly golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add the stock, scraping up the brown bits from the pan.
- Pour into the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes and thyme to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or until the pork is tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour with 2 tablespoons water.
- Whisk into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the olives.
- Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the parsley.