Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Buy a good quality italian or german salami for this sauce, selecting a fine textured variety. I found this in a cook-ahead meals booklet. you can chill for up to 4 days before adding the cheese and salami
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons brandy
- 5 ounces low-fat cheese
- 6 ounces salami, sliced thinly
- Sweat the fennel, onions, bayleaf and rosemary in the butter in a tightly covered saucepan over a low heat for 15 min, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Stir in seasoning and flour, then gradually pour in the stock and brandy.
- bring to the boil, reduce heat and cover the pan.
- simmer gently for 30 min, turn heat to the lowest setting and add cheese, stirring.
- add salami and heat without boiling.
- Serve with pasta or rice, or use as filling for pancakes or lasagna.