Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My boyfriend's aunt taught me to make risotto so this recipe is inspired by her. You really need to stand by the pot all the time for this so make sure to prepare everything before you start. I don't like it too rich so I add the cheese myself after serving, but if you like it creamy add the cheese while in the pot and stir well.
- 9 2⁄3 ounces arborio rice or 9 2⁄3 ounces carnaroli rice or 9 2⁄3 ounces risotto rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 liter hot chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock (if you want it vegetarian)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 7⁄8 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 7⁄8 ounces butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 head fennel, finely shredded
- 5 broad beans, shelled
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chives, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Soak the rice for about 2 minutes and then rinse.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and gently fry the onion until soft.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the fennel.
- Add the rice and stir to coat all the grains with oil.
- Turn up the heat and add the wine stirring until absorbed.
- Add the broadbeans.
- Reduce the heat and add the stock a ladle at a time stirring each time until it has been absorbed.
- This should take about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Add the parsley and chives and stir.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and season.
- Stir well.
- Add parmesan after serving.