1/1 Photo of Female Nomad's Curried Carrot Soup
Kristine at Food.com's Note:
This recipe comes from Rita Golden Gelman's (aka the Female Nomad) book "Female Nomad and Friends" -- all about traveling the world and connecting through food. This dish is adapted from Adrienne Jury in New Zealand and supposedly was fave soup of the King Gustav of Sweden. I'm making it for a big RZ-Food Network UK dinner party to celebrate the book. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 10 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 6 cups sliced carrots)
- 1 -2 tablespoon curry powder, to taste
- 2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon granules (I am skipping this and trading some veggie broth for part of the water)
- 6 cups water, divided
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, snipped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1Saute the onion in the butter for 5 minutes.
- 2Add the carrot slices, curry powder, powder chicken stock (or veggie stock) and 3 cups of water (or less water if trading in veggie stock).
- 3Simmer until the carrots are soft, 30-35 minutes. As soup is cooking, add the remaining 3 cups of water in half cup increments.
- 4Add salt and pepper, and adjust for taste.
- 5To blend, put half the soup in a blender or food processor. Blend at medium speed for a few seconds. Add the rest of the soup and the applesauce. Blend until smooth.
- 6Serve with fresh dill, mint, and sour cream sprinkled on top.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Female Nomad's Curried Carrot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.2
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 13.5 mg
- Sodium 1258.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 2.8 g