Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
I made this up to keep in the freezer at all times whilst on my own "biggest loser" journey to get to my goal weight. It's a soup with a lot of liquid and tons of vegies and can be altered to your tastes and to what you have on hand. I like it this way, that's why I'm posting it so I remember my favorite batch! Try it and let me know your thoughts. Please note I am guessing on the yield as I don't know the exact size of my Aunt's big soup pot!
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 (810 g) cans crushed tomatoes
- 100 g tomato paste
- 6 carrots
- 3 onions
- 1 head celery
- 1 small turnip
- 1⁄4 cabbage
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed
- 3 large broccoli florets, including stems
- 3 zucchini
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock powder (optional, to taste)
- herbs or spices, to taste. I used cumin, oregano and freshly ground black pepper
- salt, if used, at the very end (optional)
- 2 (420 g) cans borlotti beans, rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- water (to cover, 8cups approx)
- Using a food processor (or knife) chop all vegetables into pieces, I tend to shred so that everything is in small pieces but it's a personal thing.
- Put everything in a very large stock pot except for salt, borlotti beans and spinach.
- Cover with water and bring to a simmer.
- Cook till just tender, about 30-40mins for me.
- Taste & season to your liking.
- Add borlotti beans and spinach, and heat through until spinach wilts and beans are warm.
- Serve piping hot, and cool the remainder for freezer storage so soup is on hand at any time of the day or night.