Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are lots of recipes for stuffed peppers, this is mine. I served these with my Garlicky Grilled Chicken. If you wanted to serve them as a main course, you could decrease the rice & use more meat in the filling. You could also use lamb or beef as a change from chicken. I have suggested using spices to taste, because you can vary it depending on your mood or the theme of your meal. I used oregano, but you could use harissa or cumin for a middle eastern flavor or chilli for some heat... it's up to you to make my dish yours :-) Enjoy!
- 4 red capsicums (bell peppers)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 large onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 180 g ground chicken, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated, plus extra for topping
- salt and pepper
- other spices (refer to notes above)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Cut the top off the peppers and remove the insides.
- Chop onion, carrot, celery and garlic very finely.
- (I use a food processor) Cook vegetables in butter until soft.
- Combine vegetables, rice, chicken and cheese.
- Season to taste.
- Fill peppers with this mixture, pressing down as you go to ensure they are well stuffed.
- Place peppers in a covered casserole and cook in a 180c oven until peppers are soft, approximately 60-90minutes.
- To speed the cooking process, microwave the peppers for a couple of minutes before filling.
- Once they are soft, sprinkle with additional cheese and broil until tops are golden.
- Serve hot or warm as a side dish, appetiser or light lunch.
There may be lots of recipes for peppers but this is a special one! I cut the recipe back to 2 peppers and cut them longways. Baked for 35 minutes - perfect. I had some chipotle peppers in the fridge and added 3 to the recipe. The only other change was to use Greek flavored Gouda instead of Mozzarella. We really enjoyed the peppers. Because I made a full recipe of stuffing I have left overs so tonight I am making a kind of Egg Foo Yong with it. Thanks Mrs S - I am thinking of you
I made this a while ago and really liked them. My family found them a bit bland. next time I will add some spice to them for a little extra flavour
What a delicious recipe! I've never tried stuffed peppers before, but I decided to give this a shot to use up some ground chicken. I made them for 2 and used italian seasoning like Sandra mentioned, and they turned out fabulous! I can't wait to make them again. Thanks for the new fave!