There are lots of recipes for stuffed peppers, this is mine. I served these with my Garlicky Grilled Chicken. If you wanted to serve them as a main course, you could decrease the rice & use more meat in the filling. You could also use lamb or beef as a change from chicken. I have suggested using spices to taste, because you can vary it depending on your mood or the theme of your meal. I used oregano, but you could use harissa or cumin for a middle eastern flavor or chilli for some heat... it's up to you to make my dish yours :-) Enjoy!
- Cut the top off the peppers and remove the insides.
- Chop onion, carrot, celery and garlic very finely.
- (I use a food processor) Cook vegetables in butter until soft.
- Combine vegetables, rice, chicken and cheese.
- Season to taste.
- Fill peppers with this mixture, pressing down as you go to ensure they are well stuffed.
- Place peppers in a covered casserole and cook in a 180c oven until peppers are soft, approximately 60-90minutes.
- To speed the cooking process, microwave the peppers for a couple of minutes before filling.
- Once they are soft, sprinkle with additional cheese and broil until tops are golden.
- Serve hot or warm as a side dish, appetiser or light lunch.