Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a classic Algerian 'salad' dish. You can either grill the tomatoes & peppers over an open flame, deep fry them or roast them. My family loves this recipe & we always mop it up with fresh bread! You can also serve this as part of a mezze selection. The vinegar is of course optional but it acts as a flavour enhancer so I do recommend at least trying a little of the salad with a few drops of vinegar on!
- 3 large green bell peppers
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes
- 1 -2 garlic clove
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- vinegar (optional, to taste)
- Grill, fry or roast the peppers until they are softened but not mushy.
- Place in a bag & leave for 5 minutes, then remove the skins carefully.
- Chop them into pieces approximately 1" x 1/2 ".
- Mince the garlic.
- Gently heat the olive oil in a frying pan & add the peppers, tomatoes & garlic. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes then add the water & salt to taste.
- Cook gently, stirring occasionaly for 15 minutes or until the peppers are soft & the tomato has almost completely disintergrated.
- Serve hot or cold with a splash of vinegar & some crusty bread.
Very nice salad. I added some jalapenos to the mix and splashed on the vinegar towards the end and we ate it with fresh bread like suggested alongside Kofta and rice. I think next time I'll make it with a little bit more olive oil /water for added dipping sauce. Thanks. Made for Ramadan Tag 09.