My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The night before, soak the beans in a large bowl with water to cover at least 3-4 inches.
- 2Soak the carne seca in water to cover.
- 3The next morning, drain the beans and place in a large pot with water to cover by at least 3 inches.
- 4Bring the beans to a boil in medium heat.
- 5Meanwhile, cut the carne seca into 1-inch pieces.
- 6Cut the sausage into 1-inch pieces.
- 7(When I use the Portuguese sausage I usually prick it with a fork and simmer it for ten minutes in enough water to cover; then I cut it.) Cut the ribs into 2-rib sections.
- 8Add the carne seca, sausage, ribs and bay leaves to the beans.
- 9Simmer for about 2 hours or until soft (Goya brand black beans usually take about 2 hours), stirring from time to time, adding water as necessary to keep beans covered.
- 10Keep an eye on the beans so they don't burn at the bottom!
- 11Chop the onion and garlic.
- 12Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- 13Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden brown.
- 14Add two ladlefuls of beans and mash them.
- 15Put this back into the pot.
- 16It will thicken and season the beans.
- 17Continue to simmer gently for at least another hour, adding water as necessary.
- 18A good feijoada should have a creamy consistency when done.
- 19Remove the bay leaves.
- 20Some people take the meats out at this point and serve them separately on a platter.
- 21I like to leave them in with the beans, it keeps them hot.
- 22Serve the feijoada and garnishes in ceramic bowls and platters, it will add a touch of authenticity!
- 23To serve feijoada, put a mound or rice on your plate and place a ladleful or two of feijoada on top.
- 24Arrange oranges and couve around the sides.
- 25Sprinkle the beans and couve with farofa and add a spoonful of sauce to the side.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Feijoada(Brazilian Black Beans)
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1303.7
- Calories from Fat 458
- Total Fat 50.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 167.7 mg
- Sodium 771.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.7 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 87.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: