Recipe by Sherri at the Beach
Perfect for a cold day, but even better when you are sick. My family swears it is the cure for the common cold.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I probably did a major change in this recipe but I could only bring myself to use half of the indicated bacon! Other than that, it went pretty much as written, & the resulting soup was A REALLY GREAT TASTE TREAT, & a very satisfying meal for lunch! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]
- 1 lb apple-smoked bacon
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 32 ounces organic chicken stock
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, large chop
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- soda cracker
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice bacon into one inch strips.
- Brown bacon in large dutch oven.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- In the same pot, sauté onions until tender.
- Remove from pot with drippings.
- Pour in chicken stock, potatoes, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. (add water if potatoes are not covered in liquid).
- Simmer at low temperature until potatoes are fork tender -about 20 minutes.
- Lightly mash potatoes, not til smooth but slightly chunky.
- Add in butter and melt while stirring.
- Stir in cooked onions, green onions, and milk to desired consistency (I usually eyeball it).
- Serve warm with bacon on top and crackers on the side or you can add bacon to the soup and stir.