Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love this recipe but it is a little time consuming. Well worth the effort if you want a great tasting onion ring.
- Slice onions in 1/8 in slices.
- Separate into rings.
- Pour boiling water over them and drain immediately.
- Put rings in bowl, cover with milk and let stand for at least one hour.
- Drain and dry thoroughly.
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Add water and heat batter until smooth.
- Add oil and fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Dip each ring in the batter making sure it is entirely covered and fry in deep fat at 360 deg until light brown.
- (do not crowd the pan) Drain on paper towels and enjoy.