Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The recipe was given to me 25 years ago. This is a very quick and light breakfast cake. Not too sweet and delicate.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (for topping)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 8X8 square pan.
- Melt butter and cool slightly and add milk and beaten egg, set to the side.
- In bowl, sift the next four (4) ingredients, 2 times. Add butter, milk, and egg mixture and stir only enough to smooth out any lumps.
- Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon for the topping, in a small bowl or in a ziploc bag.
- Pour batter into greased pan and sprinkle the mixture of sugar and cinnamon over the top and bake 12 to 15 minutes.
Quick and light with a nice buttery taste. My 8x8 was in the freezer so I had to double the recipe to fit into a 13x9 pan. I baked for 30 minutes and it turned out great.
Absolutely fantastic. Sprinkle with powdered sugar for a touch of sweetness. This cake raises into a terrific breakfast cake. I had to make one small adjustment as I was out of eggs. I used 1 tsp. Baking Powder, 1 tsp oil and 1/4 cup water. Still this turned out wonderful. Perfect with coffee in the morning, or anytime! Thanks for this permanent addition to by cookbook!
The deliciousness of this light cake was made even more fantastic by the ease with which it's put together. I can see whipping this up when unexpected company stops by. You have everything in your kitchen and it's so quick and simple, but satisfyingly good. How I wish I could have enjoyed this over a cup of coffee or tea with dear Judy... but I will make it again and again and always remember her generous spirit. *Made with love for Judy-Jude's Cookathon in her memory*.