Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
From TOH. These look like light and tender cloverleaf rolls. Prep time does not include rising time. Some of the rising is overnight, so plan ahead.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm milk (110-115 degrees F)
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 -5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; stir in 1 tbsp sugar. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add milk, shortening, eggs, salt, 3 cups flour, and 1/3 cup sugar. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough (will be sticky). Do not knead. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Punch dough down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into 24 equal portions. Cut each portion into thirds. Roll each third into a ball. Place three balls into each greased muffin cup. Cover and rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 3/4 hours.
- Heat oven to 350* F. Bake rolls for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from muffin tins to wire racks. Serve warm.
These rolls are so awesome! And your right, they ARE light as a feather!