3 hrs 20 mins
Take 2... Slight variation from Farmer's Almanac Featherbed Rolls. This one is egg-less. There are lots of "feather" bread or roll recipes, or those that use leftover mashed potatoes. This is an oldie, goody, and keeper! The key ingredient is not just the potato, but the potato WATER that the potato was boiled in. The starches help to create a light, fluffy bread or roll. This recipe is from New England Yankee Cook Book. Side note: breads made without much sugar will not brown. You will have a white roll, which, at one time, was a desirable trait (white, light & tender).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel, cook and mash potatoes, save 3/4 cups potato water
- 2Add butter, salt, and 1 tablespoon sugar to mashed potatoes.
- 3Add 1/2 C potato water to mashed potatoes.
- 4Scald milk, cool to lukewarm and add to mashed potato mixture.
- 5Dissolve yeast in 1/4 C warm potato water and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 6Add to mashed potato mixture and stir in 2 cups flour. Beat well
- 7Add enough remaining flour to make dough just firm enough to knead
- 8Knead until smooth, approximately 8 - 10 minutes.
- 9Place in a large bowl, brush top with melted butter or oil.
- 10Cover and let rise until double in bulk (original recipe states “at least 5 hours”) Author’s experience = about 1 - 1.5 hours.
- 11Place on floured board; pat into pieces ½ inch thick; pinch off small pieces and shape into 16 - 20 rolls (or can be rolled & cut).
- 12Place on greased pan; let rise until more than double in bulk (35 - 45 min).
- 13Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until done.
- 14Rolls will be white or barely browned.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Featherbed Rolls II - 1939 New England Yankee CB
Serving Size: 1 (929 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.8
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 3.4 mg
- Sodium 86.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: