3 hrs 20 mins
There are lots of "feather" bread or roll recipes, or those that use leftover mashed potatoes. This is an oldie, goody, and keeper! The key ingredient is not just the potato, but the potato WATER that the potato was boiled in. The starches help to create a light, fluffy bread or roll. This recipe is from The Farmer's Almanac. Just a side note: breads made without sugar will not brown. You will have a white roll, which, at one time, was a desirable trait (white, light & tender).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the potato until tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water. Mash the potato and set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the hot potato cooking water, sugar, butter, and salt. Let stand until the butter is melted and the mixture is warm (105 degrees to 115 degrees F).
- 3Stir in the yeast and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4Beat in the egg and potato by hand.
- 5Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the flour as you can. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 3 to 5 minutes, adding enough flour to make a moderately soft dough.
- 6Place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides with oil.
- 7Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- 8Punch the dough down.
- 9On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 1/2-inch thickness and cut with a 3-inch round cutter.
- 10Place the rounds 1/4 inch apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- 11Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 12Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Featherbed Rolls - Farmer's Almanac
Serving Size: 1 (967 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.6
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 19.2 mg
- Sodium 177.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g