Recipe by cookiedog
These eggs are very light and fluffy almost like custard. They need to be made at least 6 hours before baking. From The Hoyt House of Fernandina Beach Florida.
Top Review by Lacemaker427
Missing from the recipe is the size of the pan! Experienced cooks will not need this, but an inexperienced in the kitchen newlywed would appreciate knowing that Feathebed aegis bakes in a 9x12x2" oblong cake pan. Excellent, easy recipe!
- 6 slices bread, buttered
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups gouda cheese, prp Jack or 1 1⁄2 cups any melting cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow baking dish arrange the slices of bread in a single layer.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the bread.
- Combine the milk and eggs in a bowl, stir until blended and pour over the bread and cheese.
- Cover and put in the fridge for 6 hours.
- Do not preheat the oven.
- Place the chilled baking dish in oven and set at 350°F
- Turn on the oven and bake for about 1 hour or until the custard is puffy and lightly golden.
- Variation: Omit the cheese and substitute thinly sliced ham and apple slices.