Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was a recipe my mother used to make when I was growing up. We always knew it was a special occasion when these were on the menu. I make them often for my family. We all love them!
- Cream together margarine or butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients and beat in, mixing well, until smooth.
- Grease and flour an 8 x 8" square pan.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes until top springs back when gently touched.
- Spread hot cake with raspberry preserves.
- Beat 3 egg whites stiff with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Spread on top of preserves.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Return to oven and bake until golden.
- Cool, cut into squares to serve.