Recipe by Oolala
This is my friend Amy's Grandma K's recipe from 1990. This recipe has lemon extract but some lemon zest can be used as well (my Grandma used the zest) but I don't have her recipe.
- 6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1⁄2 cup water, cold
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add water and continue beating until thick.
- Gradually beat in sugar, then the extracts.
- Fold in flour, a little at a time.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, add the cream of tarter and beat until they form glossy peaks.
- Fold this carefully into the cake mixture.
- Bake in a 10" ungreased angel food cake pan ina 350 degree oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Invert pan to cool.