Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my friend Amy's Grandma K's recipe from 1990. This recipe has lemon extract but some lemon zest can be used as well (my Grandma used the zest) but I don't have her recipe.
- 6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1⁄2 cup water, cold
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add water and continue beating until thick.
- Gradually beat in sugar, then the extracts.
- Fold in flour, a little at a time.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, add the cream of tarter and beat until they form glossy peaks.
- Fold this carefully into the cake mixture.
- Bake in a 10" ungreased angel food cake pan ina 350 degree oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Invert pan to cool.
I have to admit this was really good. So much better than buying. This is not going to last long.