Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
My grandma makes these whenever we came over as kids.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packageseach active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm milk
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups oil
- in a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- add potatoes, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup oil, salt vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and eggs. mix well.
- add enough flour to form a soft dough.
- place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- cover and let rise in a warm place about one hour til doubled.
- punch dough down and roll out into a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- cut with 3 inch donut cutter.
- let rise another 45 minutes.
- combine cinnamon and remaning sugar.
- heat oil and fry til golden brown on each side.
- sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.