Recipe by Gerry
Love baking bread and rolls. When wrists began to make kneading difficult I got a bread maker - my hand made Holiday Buns now only made for those special occasions when family gather. This recipe goes back to my first bread maker and is the one I turn to when needing fresh bread or rolls with the taste of old fashioned bread ... in my bread maker perfect bread every time which is a real plus when expecting guests. Great on the dough cycle for rolls and those recipes calling for frozen bread dough - especially for the pull apart breads. Just the right amount of dough to fill a bundt pan when making Manda's awesome Monkey Bread Monkey Balls. Do check your bread maker recipe book to assure it can make a dough using four cups of flour.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Gerry my friend, I love this recipe. The rolls are wonderful they are so flavorful, light, crispy and tender. They taste so good, I can't believe that I made them. I usually have problems with bread or rolls, but not this time. Your recipe was perfect, the bread turned out beautifully. Thank you so much for sharing a recipe that is going into my keeper box. :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons salt (I use one teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I use 1tablespoon for bread and dinner buns - 2 - 3 tablespoons for the sweet roll.)
- 4 cups flour (I whisk the flour before measuring)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast (I use Fleishmans bread maker yeast. Keep jar in fridge when not using, take out five minutes before )
Directions See How It's Made
- Be sure to whisk that flour before measuring - I soften the margarine in the micro wave.
- Place ingredients in order listed with the flour and yeast going in last.
- Choose your cycle.During the first mixing check to assure your dough has the right amount of flour and water - dough should look nice and shiny.Flours differ so you may need to add lukewarm water a teaspoon at a time if it is too dry- a sprinkling of flour if too sticky. Never add more then 3 tablespoons of either the flour or the water. In my breadmaker the whisked flour and the carefully measured ingredients are right on. Makes a large loaf.
- FOR DOUGH use dough cycle - when cycle complete shape into bread, buns or rolls. I often make braided loaves topping with sesame seeds.
- Brush tops with softened butter or margarine.Rise 20 to 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake in a 350 oven until nicely golden brown brushing with softened butter or margarine just before they are done - I brush them again when I take them out - makes for nice tops.
- Time varies - check your machine. Cooking time is machine and baking time.