Prep 12 hrs
Cook 35 mins
The title of this recipe makes me think of lounging around amidst warm, fluffy down comforters and pillows, anticipating this tasty breakfast for two. It's prepared the night before, so it's a snap just to stick it in the oven the next morning. This recipe is originally from a bed & breakfast recipe site; I replaced the milk with plain yogurt and used a couple of slices of sourdough bread for the base. I like very sharp Cheddar cheese plus thyme and/or oregano (or even tarragon) for the herbs. You can add onion, sausage, green peppers, etc., but I like this dish the way it is! Prep time includes an overnight stay in the fridge.
- 2 slices sourdough bread (the oval-shaped kind)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- black pepper, to taste (I like lots!)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon (or a combination)
- Grease a small baking dish or 2 small ramekins.
- Stack the bread in the dish, buttering the top piece; sprinkle liberally with black pepper and 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Beat the eggs with the yogurt and add the herbs; pour over the cheese and bread; top with the rest of the grated cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, uncover and place in a cold oven.
- Set oven to 350 degrees F and bake the dish for about 35 minutes or until puffed and golden brown and eggs are set.
- Serve immediately.
Yummy! I forgot to add the yogurt, but it still turned out! I will definately make this again, and remember the yogurt next time. Thanks for sharing!