Recipe by Lazarus
This is taken from Chatelaine's "Quickies Chicken" recipe book. We make this fairly regularly, and I have to say this has all of the flavour of traditional fried chicken with a fraction of the calories.
Top Review by mama smurf
Winner winner chicken dinner! Made for Spring PAC 214 and used chicken thighs and this was wonderful. The seasoning was right on and such an easy way to make dinner. Putting into my Favorites of 2014. Thank you for posting.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts (or whatever you fancy)
- 1 egg white
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46-4.92 ml cayenne
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- Whisk the egg white and buttermilk together, then pour into a pie plate.
- Measure all dry ingredients into a paper or plastic bag and mix.
- Dip one breast (or whatever) into the buttermilk mixture and place in the seasoning bag. Close top and gently shake to evenly coat. Place on a baking sheet with shallow sides. Repeat with remaining chicken. Discard the remainder of the seasoning.
- Using a pastry brush, evenly brush the seasoning-coated chicken with the vegetable oil. This amount of oil is essential for a crispy crust.
- Bake uncovered until crisp and golden - approx 40-45 minutes.